Pages

September 8, 2011

He's Here!

Now that I've had a bit of time to catch up on housework, sleep, and other little things from the past two weeks, I feel like I should write down our son's birth story, just as I did for Corinne.  Any longer and I may start to lose some tiny details that will fade. 

I should start with a disclaimer.  Not everything went the way I had planned in my mind, but with both of my pregnancies, I prepared myself for that reality.  I tend to overly anticipate occasions such as these and can be let down when they're all over...and that is NOT how I wanted to feel when my children arrived.  So, although I had an idealistic birth plan, I knew that things were most likely going to deviate from my ideal, and I allowed myself to be ok with that. 

Just as with Corinne, the last few weeks of my pregnancy were pretty uncomfortable (think 108 degree weather and a broken AC, sleeping on the couch, etc.).  Though I noticed this time that mentally I was not as impatient.  I was physically uncomfortable, but I also was able to really enjoy the last few weeks as a family of 3.  I wanted to spend as much time as I could with Corinne before she became a big sister and all of a sudden wasn't "the" baby anymore.  I tried what I could to kickstart labor naturally, with all the old wives' tales I could muster (long walks, super spicy Indian food, pedicures, fresh pineapple & the like).  One night after a combination of several of these, I  was up for 3 hours or so with pretty regular contractions but eventually fell back asleep.  So, on to the 6th. 

Ryan and I woke up early on Saturday the 6th for my induction.  I don't think that I would normally want an induction, but there were several factors that I had to consider.  1: the beginning of the school year.  If I waited any longer, Ryan wasn't going  to be able to spend much (or any) time at home before meetings and school started.  Of course if that was the only way, he'd make it work by taking off the first week or two, but being induced gave our family a whole week to be together before commitments started.  2: there was a chance I'd have to be induced anyway (in a week or so), if I didn't go into labor on my own. 

So we show up to the hospital and get situated...IV for fluids, HB check, etc. before they start pitocin (yuck).  It starts some contractions, but is making them really long (5-6 minutes) and stressing the baby a bit.  So they break my water and stop pitocin.  Some contractions- but not anything strong or regular enough.  Start pitocin again- slower this time and with lots of monitoring.  At about this time, Ryan and I are watching TV and Ry takes a little nap.  I'm not in any terrible pain, so I just sit and try to relax. We watch the majority of Planes, Trains & automobiles & Ry makes a couple of trips to the cafeteria (his favorite part :).  On a side note, every commercial I saw was for food!  I was allowed ice chips, popsicles, or jello...nothing of any substance.  I saw the same ad for frosted mini-wheats several times and couldn't stop thinking about them!  (since being home I've already gone through a box by myself).

Our Dr. would pop in and periodically check on me, and was teasing me because I didn't seem to be in much pain.  Of course I was only dialated to a 4 or so, and there are some people who walk around for a month dialated that much!  So I was making progress, but slowly.  My "plan" was to get an epidural if the pain became too intense ( like last time...at 5 cm. I was exhausted and started to feel nauseated.  after getting the epidural I was able to nap for a bit and 5 hours later corinne was born!); I was trying to make it to at least 5 cm. again.

The morning and early afternoon passed very slowly.  Ry and I made guesses as to when we'd actually be holding our newborn- My guess: 6:30. Ry's: 8:00.  PM.  By 2:30 and only 5 cm, however, Ry let me know that there was no way we were having a baby by 6:30, and I had to agree with him.  things were just going too slowly.  Luckily, this is when things got interesting. 

My contractions finally became increasingly uncomfortable...breathing through them and putting hot compresses on my back seemed to help.  It must have been around 3:45 or 4:00 that I was beginning to feel just as I had with Corinne- My body was tensing with each contraction and working against itself...this was my cue that I probably needed something to help me relax and help my body do what it needed to do.  Nurse Cindy checked me and let me know I was 6cm (made my goal!), and that she'd call the anesthesiologist (ETA 10-20 min to arrive and 20 min for epidural to take). Unfortunately, she was caught up in a surgery and took MUCH longer to arrive than we had anticipated.  At this point, I'm asking everyone in the room when the epidural would be arriving, changing out the hot packs every 5 minutes and probably whining.  a lot.  She does show up, but of course I'm in so much pain I don't want to move, much less let this lady stick a huge needle in my back.  The nurse was helping me calm down as we go through all the obligatory consent/informative junk that this lady is trying to rush through, because it's pretty obvious that I'm about to melt down.  She is able to get the epidural in during some pretty intense contractions, and finally tells me that she's ready to start the meds and that I have to lay down for 20 min or so before they take effect.

Only problem is I don't want to lay down (again, intense pain).  I tell our nurse I feel like I need to push rightthisminute. She quickly checks me and whispers in my ear that I'm fully dialated, but can't push until the Dr. comes in.  This is when things pick up.  Dr. rushes in....changes the table for delivery, turns on crazy fish-eye spotlights in the ceiling and starts giving me pushing directions all within a span of 5 minutes.  5 minutes.  Not that 20 needed for epidural to take. I am in PAIN. 

At this point, I am understandably freaking out.  I made the decision to get the epidural and now can't even reap its benefits.  I ask for any other type of med that will help but am distracted by the nurse (she was GOOD at her job!).  I push & am screaming simultaneously, because what the heck else am I supposed to do (didn't think I'd be a screamer).  Baby decides to squirm around AS I"M TRYING TO PUSH HIM OUT (not cool).  I ask if anything can be done to make him stop moving (no response).  In less than 10 minutes his head is out, and Dr. is suctioning.  Baby is not crying yet, and even though I have to finish delivery, I ask why he hasn't made any noise.  Apparently I pushed him out rather quickly, but he begins to cry soon after. Then his shoulder is in the wrong position and Dr. is trying to help him out without breaking his clavicle.  Before I know it, he is placed in my arms, crying and pink and absolutely perfect. 

No comments: